This week I decided to copy one of the skirts given to us by Valeria. Sabina totally loves to wear this skirt so I figured duplication might be a go. At first I made a little Thomi sized test one in one of my fabrics, but Sabina was rather put out that the fabric wasn’t red and spotty. I guess she expected an exact copy. So I took her to Spotlight yesterday and she picked out 3 fabrics. I bought a metre of each $5.99/m) and spent the afternoon ripping and ironing while the kids played at my feet. I had to hem everything because unlike Valeria I do not have an overlocker/ serger.
Finally last night I put it all together, mixing up the fabrics into each skirt. Alas the pix I took along the way look crap in the night light so this is not yet a proper photo tutorial. Here is the skirt anyway, I figured that I would get at least 4 or 5 of these skirts out of the fabric. The strips for the pleated parts are 15cm x 110cm (width of fabric) and the base which they are attached to is 35cm x 75cm. I made a 1cm folded hem at the bottom edge of the strips, and a 1cm bottom hem for the skirt base with a wide 3cm hem at the top to fit the elastic through. I think I will remake another one and try to get better photos for a tutorial soon.
When we were kids we called these skirts Ra-ra skirts, and though I have seen them return to the shop shelves lately I have no idea what the “kids” call them now. To me they are still Ra-ra.